The following information is from American Airlines Benefit Service Center.
Always reference aa.com/spending-accounts. , Benefit Service center and my.aa.com. for any updates.
Dear team member,
Earlier this fall, we announced that American is transitioning the administrative services for spending accounts to Fidelity Investments, effective Jan. 1, 2024. In connection with this change, American is revising some of the administrative practices that apply to these accounts. In particular, for health care flexible spending accounts (HCFSAs), limited purpose flexible spending accounts (LPFSAs) and dependent care flexible spending accounts (DCFSAs), American will change its FSA plan claim submission deadlines for 2023 claims. In addition, there are other key dates and administrative changes we want to bring to your attention.
What you need to know
- PLAN CHANGE FOR 2023 CLAIMS SUBMISSION: The deadline to submit 2023 claims for reimbursement is being moved up from June 15, 2024, to March 31, 2024.
- In future years, the claims submission deadline will be March 31 following the close of the prior plan year.
- Alight Smart-Choice Accounts will still be the administrator for 2023 claims through March 31, 2024.
- From April 1 to May 2, 2024, there will be a blackout period for any remaining 2023 carryover funds of HCFSAs and LPFSAs.
- This period will allow Smart-Choice to review your reimbursement claims and transfer your carryover funds to Fidelity.
- During this time, you will not have access to your 2023 HCFSA or LPFSA carryover funds, but you will have access to your 2024 balance elections.
- This blackout period will not apply to DCFSAs.
- Your 2023 HCFSA or LPFSA carryover funds will be available at Fidelity on May 3, 2024.
What you need to do
- By March 31, 2024, you will need to submit any outstanding reimbursement claims for expenses incurred in 2023 under the HCFSA, LPFSA or DCFSA to Smart-Choice. You will be able to submit your claims through the Benefits Service Center, accessible at my.aa.com.
- It is important that you provide proper substantiation when you submit these claims.
Thank you for your patience and flexibility during our transition to Fidelity. If you have any additional questions, please visit aa.com/spending-accounts.